Greater Des Moines Partnership 2012 State Legislative Agenda Announced
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011
The Greater Des Moines Partnership unveiled its 2012 State Legislative Agenda at a luncheon today, December 7th, 2011, at the Hotel Fort Des Moines, downtown. Iowa Senate President Jack Kibbie (D-Emmetsburg), Senate Minority Leader Jerry Behn (R-Boone), Speaker of the House, Kraig Paulsen (R-Hiawatha), and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (D-Des Moines) participated in a panel discussion previewing the upcoming legislative session.
The Partnership’s Legislative Agenda includes a list of featured priorities that will drive the Partnership’s state public policy efforts in 2012:
- The Partnership supports the preservation and strengthening of critical economic development incentives and tax credits to create and retain high quality jobs.
- The Partnership supports bold, innovative solutions to improve Iowa’s education system to support the workforce needs of Iowa’s new economy.
- The Partnership supports meaningful commercial and industrial property tax relief that is linked with targeted alternative revenue streams, regulatory relief and guaranteed state backfill for local governments.
- The Partnership supports increasing investment in transportation infrastructure, including a possible incremental increase in the fuel tax, provided the existing cap on the TIME-21 funding formula is removed.
- The Partnership supports the creation of tax incentives for small businesses to implement wellness and prevention programs.
The Partnership’s full Legislative Agenda is available in electronic form at www.desmoinesmetro.com/public-policy/policy-agendas. A published copy of the agenda is available upon request. For more information, contact the Greater Des Moines Partnership at (515) 286-4950. Media inquiries should be directed to Lauren Burt at (515) 286-4947 or firstname.lastname@example.org.